Gold on the Murchison
by Phil Heydon
ISBN 0 85905 066 1, (1986, 2008), 221pp, illustrated, Soft Cover, 315 grams
$35.00 + POST
Reprint of 1986 edition
Gold on the Murchison is the story of Cue, Day Dawn and Big Bell and the part the towns and their people played in the development of Murchison gold.
From the first rushes in the 1880s and the hardships of the pioneers to Cue's status as the 'Queen of the Murchison', the decay to ghost towns, oblivion and eventual rebirth.
Phil Heydon commenced his working life in the Post Office at Cue, in 1935, as a Telegraph Messenger. He worked in most Murchison goldfield towns, returning to Big Bell as Postmaster in 1947 and retired as Postmaster at the General Post Office, Perth. He was awarded the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977, and the Medal of the Order of Australia in 1979.